Here at Niantic, we believe that technology and real-world games can help bring communities together and real-world events have played a critical role in that. Even in the early days, these live real-world events have been central to Niantic’s goal to create interactive experiences that foster exploration and discovery as well as active and healthy lifestyles, and lasting friendships. Over the last 7 years, we’ve seen our large-scale live events bring hundreds of thousands of players from around the world together for a weekend of adventure.
We could not be more excited to share some of our initial plans for real-world events for Pokemon GO, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and Ingress for the first half of 2020.
Trainers can look forward to an array of Pokémon GO events taking place throughout the first-half of the year and across the globe including:
- Taiwan Lantern Festival in Taichung - February 6-9
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone St. Louis - March 27-29
- Tickets will go live starting January 24 at 8:00 AM CT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Liverpool - April 17-19
- Tickets will go on sale starting January 31 at 8:00 AM GMT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Philadelphia - May 8-10
- More information about tickets will be announced soon
To learn more about Pokémon GO and upcoming events in 2020, please visit www.PokémonGOLive.com/events.
Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Witches and Wizards can look forward to joining the second Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Fan Festival later this year. Additional details on the event will be announced soon.
To learn more about Harry Potter: Wizards Unite visit www.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/
Agents around the world will be able to experience new events in Ingress taking place throughout the first-half of the year and across the globe including:
- Perpetua Hexathlon - February 29
- Asia-Pacific Region: Christchurch, New Zealand; Adelaide, Australia; Naha, Okinawa, Japan; Bengalaru, India; Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Europe: Porto, Portugal; Milan, Italy; Lille, France; Bratislava, Slovakia; Ruse, Bulgaria
- Americas: San Antonio, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah; Miami, Florida; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Tijuana, Mexico
- Lexicon Hexathlon - April 25
- Asia-Pacific Region: Colombo, Sri Lanka; Taichung City, Taiwan; Bogor, Indonesia; Baguio City, Philippines; Songpa District, Seoul, Korea
- Europe: Moscow, Russia; Edinburgh, Scotland; Pilsen, Czechia; Budapest, Hungary; Valencia, Spain
- Americas: San Francisco, California; Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Victoria, BC, Canada; Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
- Requiem Anomaly Munich - May 9
To register for the Perpetua Hexathlon and find additional information on Ingress and future events please visit: www.ingress.com/events
Over the years, collaborating with city officials and local governments have been instrumental in hosting our large-scale real world events. We’re excited to also share that each of these real world events has a true positive impact on the locations we host them, bringing players from around the world together to explore and experience these unique cities. In 2019 alone, the three events hosted in Chicago, Montréal, and Dortmund combined for an estimated $249M in tourism revenue. Along with overall increased tourism for the cities, each event saw substantial attendance, significant distance walked and more.
You can find additional information on Niantic’s real world events by visiting: www.nianticlabs.com/events
Last year we launched #NianticLive2020, a way for governments and players to apply to be host cities for Niantic’s real-world events and are excited to share that of the new event locations we’ve announced for the first half of 2020, Liverpool, Philadelphia and St. Louis were hand-picked following their submissions. Each event selected as part of this submission campaign will carry a prominent #NianticLive2020 stamp (see the image below) on all visuals so you can show even more love for the city when you get there!
Following the incredible submissions, we’re also thrilled to launch a new events website for local governments, Convention & Visitor Bureaus, and park officials to nominate parks for future years. Visit www.nianticlabs.com/niantic-live for more information on partnering with us to bring an exciting and unique experience to your city.
There’s much more to come in 2020 including many more events around the world, including in the Americas, the Asia Pacific region and Europe. We’re looking forward to another year of fun live experiences and celebrating our incredible communities throughout our real-world events in 2020!
-Michael Steranka, Senior Marketing Manager, Global Live Events