Niantic is seeking an experienced and hardworking Designer to help build the next generation of games. At Niantic, the Lead Game Designer is responsible for designing mechanics, levels, and systems that fit the product vision. Teams at Niantic are structured to allow everyone to be a major contributor to the game they are helping define, build, and ship. Our intent is to bring a best-of-class team together to tackle an array of differentiated and interesting mobile and VR games. Our creative department and executive management have long, significant experience delivering well-reviewed AAA+ titles in the PC and console markets and are bringing that experience into the mobile and VR gaming space. This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Communicate designs with clear and concise documentation.
- Work with the engineering, art, and production teams to define creative vision and ultimately deliver a great gameplay experience.
- Translate paper game design into playable levels.
- Adapt to custom tools for editing game data & work within an overall design established by others.
- Implement their designs for levels and systems in Unity in collaboration with the engineering team.
- Assist Jr. Designers with any challenges they face with their design tasks.
- Must have experience shipping at least two products (mobile, console, PC, or VR experience, AAA titles ideal).
- You have 5 years of experience in traditional PC, console or mobile development.
- You have experience leading a team, minimum two direct reports.
- You have a college degree or minimum of 5 years applied experience.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, and record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO. Our third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, is currently in development.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.