Effective as of: June 4, 2020
In addition to the Niantic Sponsored Locations Terms and Conditions (the “Sponsored Location Terms”), participants of Niantic Sponsored Locations are also subject to the following policies and guidelines. Niantic may suspend or terminate Sponsorship Accounts that violate the Sponsored Locations Terms or these policies and guidelines.
We may update our terms, policies, and guidelines from time to time, so please check in and review them regularly.
To be eligible to participate in the Niantic Sponsored Locations program and have your business location(s) qualify as a Niantic sponsored in-game location(s), your business must meet the following criteria:
- Have a physical location where users can receive service(s) and where the business makes in-person contact with the user. Virtual or online-only businesses are not currently eligible.
- Your location(s) must be non-residential, accessible publicly and safely by pedestrians, family friendly, and open to all ages. See more information on this in the “Location Guidelines” section.
- You must operate the business or be authorized by the business owner. If you’d like to market a product or service that is provided or sold through a physical location that you do not operate (e.g., if you are the owner of a brand of socks sold through a retail store), you are not eligible for this program but other sponsorship opportunities may be available. Please contact us to learn more.
Ineligible businesses include but are not limited to:
- Properties for sale/rent listed by private individuals (if you are a real estate company or rental company, please contact us).
- Locations whose core business promotes dangerous or non-family-friendly products and services, such as explosives, tobacco, weapons, recreational drugs, adult/sexual content, alcohol, or gambling.
- Locations that display shocking content or promote hatred, intolerance, discrimination, or violence.
Niantic has sole discretion regarding a business’ eligibility to participate in the Sponsored Locations program.
Sponsored in-game locations must meet the following criteria:
- Cannot be operated out of a private residence.
- Safely and publicly accessible by pedestrians.
- Family friendly and open to all ages.
- Permanent location that is related to your business (e.g., store owned by the business). If using a third-party-owned location (e.g., Sponsor counter in a larger store), the business owner is responsible for arranging permission, if any is needed. Note: The location owner is typically able to request removal of the in-game location from their property.
- Have a recognizable marker in the real world, which is easily identifiable. This can be a storefront, signage, entrance, kiosk, etc.
Examples of Sponsored In-Game Locations that are not acceptable:
- In a restricted area;
- In the middle of a road or parking lot;
- A temporary location or installation;
- May interfere with emergency operations such as fire stations, police stations or hospitals;
- On an industrial site or powerplant;
- On a major roadway, highway or bridge;
- On an airplane runway or train tracks.
Note: In the case of multiple sponsored in-game locations within the same area, each location must be at least 40 meters apart in horizontal distance from another in-game location (even if they are on different floors.)
Niantic has sole discretion regarding approval of sponsored in-game locations, and may remove or reject sponsored in-game locations for any reason or no reason.
Content & Image Policy
The content and image(s) you provide for the location name, description, and image fields associated with your sponsored in-game location(s) (“Sponsor Content”) must comply with the policies and guidelines listed below.
- Sponsor Content should:
- comply with all applicable laws, including local advertising laws and policies;
- be family-friendly and safe for all users;
- promote a positive experience;
- be truthful and accurate;
- be tasteful and helpful; and
- respect the privacy and intellectual property rights of others.
- Sponsor Content must not be unlawful or defamatory.
- Sponsor Content must not violate users’ trust or privacy.
- Sponsor Content must not solely target or market to a child audience.
- Sponsor Content must not contain shocking or offensive language or imagery, or make reference to competing companies.
- Sponsor Content must not promote dangerous or non-family-friendly products such as: explosives, tobacco, weapons, recreational drugs, adult/sexual content, alcohol or gambling.
- Sponsor Content must not involve campaigns against or for public figures, political parties, organizations, or a political agenda.
- Sponsor Content promoting general encouragement to vote in state, municipal, or national elections is allowed as long as no political agenda is endorsed.
- Aside from any Sponsor Promotional Materials Niantic may provide, Sponsor Content must not contain the intellectual property of Niantic or its licensors, including characters, character names, games images and titles, and logos, brand names, and other brand features.
- Images featuring representations of prohibited content are not permitted.
- Your business must have all applicable rights to Sponsor Content, including all rights to the image(s)/logo(s) associated with your sponsored in-game location
- Use of third party image(s)/logos(s) is not permitted, except with explicit permission of Niantic and the rights holder of the image(s).
- Aside from any Sponsor Promotional Materials Niantic may provide, use of the intellectual property of Niantic or its licensors, including characters, character names, games images and titles, and logos, brand names, and other brand features, is not permitted.
- The image(s) associated with your sponsored in-game location must not feature a photo of a human face.
Promotions and Offers:
- Sponsor Content may include coupons, vouchers, or other promotional offers (“Promotions”) if permitted by law. Such Promotions are subject to the additional terms below:
- Promotions must comply with all applicable laws.
- Promotions featuring representations of prohibited content are not permitted.
- Promotions must not solely target or market to a child audience.
- Promotions must be accurate, truthful, and not misleading, with terms clearly stated or linked.
- Promotions must not imply that they are endorsed or sponsored by Niantic or its licensors.
- Aside from any Sponsor Promotional Materials Niantic may provide, Promotions must not use the intellectual property of Niantic or its licensors, including characters, character names, games images and titles, and logos, brand names, and other brand features.
- Promotions that are directly visible within the image/text fields of your sponsored in-game location, must:
- be redeemable at your business location;
- clearly indicate an expiration date; and
- be honored until the expiration date.
- Sponsor Content may not include contests, sweepstakes, drawing, or raffles.
Niantic has sole discretion in interpreting this Content & Image Policy, and may reject or remove Sponsor Content at any time for any or no reason.